This week’s conversation is with Tom Bilyeu, the co-founder of Quest Nutrition — a unicorn startup valued at over $1 billion — and the co-founder and host of Impact Theory.
Why did I want to sit down with Tom?
Tom is driven to help people develop the skills they need to improve themselves and the world.
It’s not every day that we get to learn from someone who created a billion dollar business.
I wanted to understand his mindset, his approach to leadership, and what he’s most hungry for.
Tom is very clear about what he wants and what he believes in and that definitely is apparent in this conversation.
In Tom’s words, “What I do is with a very high degree of intention. I am very much not stumbling my way through life.”
I hope Tom’s clarity inspires you to spend your own time getting clear on what you want and what you stand for, if you haven’t done so already.
In This Episode:
- Wanting to be a filmmaker since he was 12, going to film school, and how he ended up pivoting to technology
- Why he realized he needed to put making money ahead of being an artist
- Growing up overweight, kept busy from working on film and didn’t take care of body
- Parents were morbidly obese
- Why he wants to live forever
- Has a drive for growth, thirst for mastery, loves reading,
- Complicated relationship with parents, wishing he spent more time with dad
- His thoughts on balance
- Why intention is so important to him
- How he developed a growth mindset
- Approaching success vs. avoiding failure
- Why he created a period for expressing himself creatively once he finishes meditating
- The dark side of mastery
- Why he believes the most important thing in life is fulfillment
- What he does the best… empower others
- Why indecisiveness will kill you
- His thoughts on mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“Reading for sure defines my existence.”
“When I think about scaling an empowering mindset, nothing turns me on more than that.”
“If you’re going to achieve balance it’s by being extreme on both ends. “
“What I do is with a very high degree of intention. I am very much not stumbling my way through life.”
“Fulfillment is the thing people are seeking. The punchline to life is fulfillment. It’s not money. It’s not success. It’s fulfillment because it has to do with who you are and what you’re becoming, not what you have.”
“You’re mental and emotional stability comes down to what you keep repeating to yourself.”
“The thing that separates people who do nothing from people who go on to do something extraordinary is they really want it.”
“I find that the people who are the most successful are the ones that can self-soothe the fastest.”
“Getting to a clear state of mind is the only position from which you can win long term.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!