This week’s conversation is with quarterback Sam Darnold on leadership, trust, and confidence.
Sam was just selected by the New York Jets with the 3rd pick in this year’s NFL Draft.
Over the last two years, Sam has been one of the top college quarterbacks in the nation, playing at the University of Southern California.
I’ve known Sam since he participated in the Elite 11 quarterback camp – which features the best of the best quarterbacks coming out of high school. It’s been incredible to see how far he’s come since then.
You might know him as one of the best rookie quarterbacks, but this conversation shows a different side of him: insight, integrity, humility, and honesty.
We discuss everything from his leadership style, why building strong relationships and trusting himself have been fundamental to his success, and how he’s managed the distractions that have come with his quick rise to fame.
“For me, it’s never been about needing something to push me forward to do what I do. I workout every single day and watch film because I love it, because I want to do it. The moment I stop loving what I’m doing, I’ll just stop.”
In This Episode:
- Being introverted and how that impacts people’s first impression of him
- His game planning process
- Letting it happen and finding flow vs. “being clutch”
- His most optimal state of mind
- How he prepares for big games
- What his mindfulness practice looks like
- Why trust is key to the risks he’s willing to take
- How develops trust with himself and with teammates
- The hardest moments he endured growing up
- How he manages the attention that comes with being the quarterback for USC
- His strategy for managing the distractions of social media
- Why he believes it’s easier to live life in an even keel manner
- Why he’s not worried about playing in the cold
- The words that guide how he lives his life
- His views on mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
Jocko Willink video: “Good” on how to deal with failure and bad situations
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.
- Finding Mastery 093: Luke Walton, Los Angeles Lakers head coach
- Finding Mastery 050: Drew Bledsoe, former NFL quarterback
- Finding Mastery 027: Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks head coach