This week’s conversation is with Peter Park, founder of the Platinum brand and co-owner of the Platinum Fitness Summerland facility in Santa Barbara, California.
He brings to this conversation a history rich of stories from the frontier. A blend of his own limit pushing achievements and 23 years of experience training elite athletes, big-screen celebrities, top touring musicians, and recreation folks that are serious about their fitness, mobility, and longevity.
Peter’s has trained the best of the best — Lance Armstrong, Kelly Slater (11x World Champion surfer), Lakey Peterson (currently #1 in the world right now for professional surfing), Derek Fisher, Al Horford (5x NBA All star), the legend, Diana Taurasi, motocross game changers: Chad Reed, Ken Roczen, and baseball MVP Giancarlo Stanton are among the athletes that Peter has nurtured through various stages of their careers.
Peter recently authored a book called “Rebound” on Foundation training, which lengthens and strengthens the back body, equaling out one’s total body strength, posture, flexibility, and overall body awareness.
In this conversation we discuss what he’s learned from training the best in the world, why Peter struggles with the idea of balance, and what cancer has taught him about embracing every moment.
I hope you can appreciate Peter’s humility and as a friend of Peter’s, I hope you get a sense of the man he his, far more than the craft he’s mastering…. see if you can dig into what he’s searching for, how he goes about it, and why it matters so much to him.
In This Episode:
- His early childhood: growing up with 11 sibling and not getting much affection from his dad
- What he’s learned from training the best in world
- What causes someone to so dedicated to becoming the best
- The perspective he gained from having a close friend lose a battle to cancer
- Is balance something he actually wants?
- The unique relationship he shares with his clients
- What surfing taught him about facing fears
- Why he’s never indulged in alcohol or drugs
- The reason he doesn’t like attention but has learned to accept compliments
- Placing 10th in his first Iron Man competition and what it taught him
- The principles that guide his life
- Getting cancer, going through 7 injuries, and how he fought back
- What inspired him to write his book, “Rebound”
- Some basic training tips for taking care of your body
- His definition of mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“Pressure comes from within.”
“I will myself to be better.”
“You can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it. And I mean that. I’ve seen it happen more than once.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.