This week’s conversation is with Matt Jacobson, Head of Market Development at Facebook.
In this role, he focuses on strategic partnerships that connect people to some of the world’s most recognized brands.
Facebook may be one of the world’s largest companies today, but it wasn’t when Matt joined as employee number 8 over 13 years ago.
He took a leap of faith at the time – he believed in their mission and their founder, Mark Zuckerberg, and began working for no salary, only equity.
You could say that bet paid off.
What gave Matt the confidence to join Facebook?
His intellectual curiosity has been a driving force for him for since he was young.
In this conversation, we discuss how that intellectual curiosity has allowed him to stay ahead of the curve, take risks and opened up new opportunities.
Matt understands, values, and invests deeply in relationships so it’s no surprise that his philosophy is: “To be the best part of another person’s day.”
What a cool thought.
In This Episode:
- Third generation Southern California, thinks of himself as “surfer” and “Angelino”
- His experience growing up as an only child in Manhattan Beach
- The way teachers have inspired him over the course of his life and driven him to love learning
- Early career: Working at Disney right out of school, transitioning to FOX/ NewsCorp and ending up at Quiksilver
- How he got started at Facebook: Meeting Mark Zuckerberg for the first in 2005 and why he believed in him
- How he picks up on early trends… his thirst for intellectual curiosity
- What excited him about Facebook’s mission from early on
- Why they were destined to go big or fall flat on their face from the start
- How he creates meaningful work for himself
- How they build a strong culture at Facebook: have uncomfortable, hard conversations to cut through the BS
- His strategies for recovering properly
- Why he bought the brand Birdwell
- His philosophy: be the best part of someone else’s day
- How he manages self-doubt
- Why he cares about a daily meditation practice
- His definition of mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 120: Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO
- Finding Mastery 094: Arianna Huffington, Thrive Global CEO
- Finding Mastery 090: Jan Singer, Victoria’s Secret CEO
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
Please support our partners!!
We’re able to keep growing and creating content for YOU because of their support. We believe in their mission and would appreciate you supporting them in return!!
Click HERE for all links and codes to take advantage of deals from our partners.