This week’s conversation is with Matt Jacobson, Head of Market Development at Facebook.
In this role, he focuses on strategic partnerships that connect people to some of the world’s most recognized brands.
Facebook may be one of the world’s largest companies today, but it wasn’t when Matt joined as employee number 8 over 13 years ago.
He took a leap of faith at the time – he believed in their mission and their founder, Mark Zuckerberg, and began working for no salary, only equity.
You could say that bet paid off.
What gave Matt the confidence to join Facebook?
His intellectual curiosity has been a driving force for him for since he was young.
In this conversation, we discuss how that intellectual curiosity has allowed him to stay ahead of the curve, take risks and opened up new opportunities.
Matt understands, values, and invests deeply in relationships so it’s no surprise that his philosophy is: “To be the best part of another person’s day.”
What a cool thought.
In This Episode:
- Third generation Southern California, thinks of himself as “surfer” and “Angelino”
- His experience growing up as an only child in Manhattan Beach
- The way teachers have inspired him over the course of his life and driven him to love learning
- Early career: Working at Disney right out of school, transitioning to FOX/ NewsCorp and ending up at Quiksilver
- How he got started at Facebook: Meeting Mark Zuckerberg for the first in 2005 and why he believed in him
- How he picks up on early trends… his thirst for intellectual curiosity
- What excited him about Facebook’s mission from early on
- Why they were destined to go big or fall flat on their face from the start
- How he creates meaningful work for himself
- How they build a strong culture at Facebook: have uncomfortable, hard conversations to cut through the BS
- His strategies for recovering properly
- Why he bought the brand Birdwell
- His philosophy: be the best part of someone else’s day
- How he manages self-doubt
- Why he cares about a daily meditation practice
- His definition of mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 120: Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO
- Finding Mastery 094: Arianna Huffington, Thrive Global CEO
- Finding Mastery 090: Jan Singer, Victoria’s Secret CEO
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.