This week’s conversation is with Mark Healey, a professional big-wave surfer, award-winning spear-fisherman, free-diver, photographer, filmmaker, and part-time Hollywood stuntman.
Mark’s made no shortage of major achievements in his career as a waterman.
Earning his first surf sponsorship at age 13 and going pro at 17, the 31-year-old has racked up victories at big-wave events like Todos Santos and—in 2008—nabbed the Spearfishing World Cup.
While he’s encountered his share of close calls—from shark attacks to blackouts—Mark thrives on the elements of danger inherent to his work.
And that is a central part of this conversation.
We discuss embracing challenges and why it’s important to face adversity head on rather than run from it.
When you get to that edge, that point where you’re uncomfortable, that’s where you really learn what’s possible for yourself.
Mark is wise beyond his years and I can’t wait for you to learn from him.
In This Episode:
- How he describes his profession
- His path to becoming a professional big wave surfer at age 17
- His experience shooting the “Shark Riders” video for a GoPro product launch
- Understanding sharks better: their body language, age, and temperament
- How he got exposed to the water and larger surf
- What it was like growing up broke in Hawaii but right next to a legendary surf break
- The best advice he got from his parents
- What it’s like having other people call him selfish for doing what he loves
- His relationship with embracing the unknown and chaotic environments
- Facing adversity head on vs. running away from it
- What he’s most hungry for
- Why other cultures and remote areas of world fascinate him – specifically Fiji
- How he gets in his own way
- The closest he’s come to death while surfing
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“I do things in the ocean that people are either incapable of or unwilling to do.”
“One of the biggest benefits and legs up I’ve had in my entire life is being able to experience having to have little money and not seeing any chance in my happiness the whole time.”
“There’s no use in whining about your situation. You’re the one to change it.”
“Being able to slow things down in a chaotic, stressful situation is my strong point.”
“You can’t master the external world, but you can master the internal world. What’s going on with yourself.”
“The real mastery is mastering what’s inside your head.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!
- Finding Mastery 100: Tom Carroll, Big Wave Surfer
- Finding Mastery 057: Nic Lamb, Big Wave Surfer
- Finding Mastery 044: Kai Lenny, Watermen
- Finding Mastery 028: Ian Walsh, Big Wave Surfer
Find more information on Healey Water Ops here