Lisa Kerney is an anchor of the evening and night editions of SportsCenter.
In this conversation we learn what it’s like to have a childhood dream — and — more importantly how to make decisions that map-onto making that childhood dream come to life.
When we see people who are doing what they always wanted to do — they have much to teach us about what it takes to set a long term vision — how to persevere through the ups and downs — and how to fuel the passion that is required to “play the long game.” Lisa has definitely played the long game, betting on herself, her skills, and her family structure to support and challenge her along the way.
I wanted to learn from Lisa how she’s seemingly been able to juggle so many facets of her life — both family and professional. While there’s no silver bullet (rarely there is), she points to the importance of going for “big challenges”, really being open to coaching (not just saying that), and how important being fully locked-in and present is for her to maximize her time with her loved ones.
What I loved about this conversation is that it’s really clear for Lisa — and with that clarity, how the path forward gets much easier to recognize (not any easier to travel, but easier to recognize).
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!
Halo Sport, the first product from Halo Neuroscience, uses Neuropriming technology to improve the brain’s response to motor skill training.
Get $100 off Halo Sport when you purchase via this Finding Mastery link!
In This Episode:
- How she became a SportsCenter anchor
- Beginning her professional career in low income housing in Beautte, Montana
- Catching her first break and heading to Seattle for a better opportunity
- Why she was open to embracing big challenges
- The moment that taught her to welcome improvement and be coachable
- How being present helps her improve from moment to moment
- Being fueled by a competitive family structure
- Spending time with her children as a trigger to be more present
- How she manages to balance her personal and professional life
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
- Finding Mastery 031: ESPN the Magazine’s Alyssa Roenigk on Writing About & Living Adventure
- Finding Mastery 065: Journalist Cal Fussman on Questions, Storytelling, and Adventure
- Finding Mastery 042: ABC’s Dan Harris on Authenticity, Panic, and Mindfulness