Krisztina “Z” Holly is an MIT-trained engineer, tech entrepreneur, and pioneer. She was curator and host of the first ever TEDx (TEDxUSC) and founder of two university innovation centers at MIT and USC. Z hosts The Art of Manufacturing podcast and is Chief Instigator of MAKE IT IN LA, LA Mayor Garcetti’s non-profit initiative to celebrate and support the nation’s largest community of makers and manufacturers.
In this conversation, I wanted to learn how she develops and innovates at a global scale. She has a track record of building platforms for ideas and people to make an impact.
I hope that you will pay attention to how she thinks about risk and risk-taking — and — how she approaches authenticity and building, both herself, and others — and being able to do that at scale.
In This Episode:
- Parents escaping Soviet-controlled Hungary in 1956 and the risks they were willing to take to leave
- Adventuring as a young, only child with experiences being a family priority
- How scuba-diving became a big part of her life
- The balance between joy and cynicism
- Is passion a “thing” you should follow?
- The value in linking things from different areas to fuel innovation
- Why being an innovator still requires fitting into society
- The difference between creativity and innovation
- What it actually means to be a risk taker
- The challenge of emotional vulnerability
- Love vs. self-preservation
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
“Passion is what you already know and it’s very limiting. Following your curiosity is following what you don’t know.”
“Innovation really happens at the intersection of things.”
“What I’ve really become good at is identifying undiscovered talent and ideas and helping them make an impact in the world.”
“You don’t have to be a jerk to be a good leader.”
“I love to understand and be understood.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.
- Gururaj Deshpande – co-founder of Sycamore Networks
- The Art of Manufacturing podcast: behind-the-scenes of entrepreneurs trying to “make it”