Krisztina “Z” Holly is an MIT-trained engineer, tech entrepreneur, ed and pioneer. She was curator and host of the first ever TEDx (TEDxUSC) and founder of two university innovation centers at MIT and USC. Z hosts The Art of Manufacturing podcast and is Chief Instigator of MAKE IT IN LA, LA Mayor Garcetti’s non-profit initiative to celebrate and support the nation’s largest community of makers and manufacturers.
In part 2 of the conversation, we discuss what is often overlooked about the manufacturing industry, how to truly make an impact on the world, and why curiosity, courage, and commitment are three words that embody mastery.
You can find part 1 here.
In This Episode:
- Why podcasting is a unique platform to share people’s stories
- Why she’s focused on manufacturing
- The issue she has with the current state of the tech industry
- Her first encounter with sexism
- Experiencing and coping with imposter syndrome
- Her problem with the way we look at failure
- Why it all comes down to curiosity, courage, and commitment
- The reason small actions can make just as big an impact on the world
- The impact fear & fatigue can have on pursuing what you want most
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
“People think of mastery as being the best person on the playing field. For me I get incredible joy from creating my own playing field.”
“I think the most important thing about failure is having the courage to try again.”
“If I knew how hard it was before beginning my first startup, I would have never done it, so I’m glad I didn’t know.
“The worst part about sexism is that it’s subtle and impacts your confidence and then it becomes a vicious cycle.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!
- “80% of global trade has to do with things rather than services.”
- “LA is the largest manufacturing center in the country.”
- Thomas Kalil – expert on technology and innovation policy, and Deputy Director for Policy for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Davos Economic Forum
- The Art of Manufacturing podcast: behind-the-scenes of entrepreneurs trying to “make it”