Dr. Judson Brewer is a thought leader in the field of habit change and the “science of self-mastery”, having combined nearly 20 years of experience with mindfulness training with his scientific research therein. He is the Director of Research at the Center for Mindfulness and associate professor in Medicine and Psychiatry at UMass Medical School. He is also adjunct faculty at Yale University, and a research affiliate at MIT.
He’s at ground-zero when it comes to using science to explain how mindfulness is working —
A psychiatrist and internationally known expert in mindfulness training for addictions, Brewer has developed and tested novel mindfulness programs for habit change, including both in-person and app-based treatments (e.g. www.goeatrightnow.com, www.cravingtoquit.com). He has also studied the underlying neural mechanisms of mindfulness using standard and real-time fMRI.
He is the author of The Craving Mind: from cigarettes to smartphones to love, why we get hooked and how we can break bad habits.
For me, this was a fantastic conversation about his journey toward mastery — and his very applied insights on applying good science to upgrade or enhance the habits that get you closer to the man or woman that you’re working on becoming.
In This Episode:
- Finding himself relating to those who are underdogs in society
- Going to Princeton for undergrad and initially planning to become a chemist
- Picking up meditation after breaking off his engagement
- Debating whether to fully invest in professional aspirations vs. having children
- Getting curious about what drives fear
- How to rid yourself of bad habits
- The tactics to increase awareness
- Why rewards guides behavior
- The relationship between triggers and habit formation
- Leveraging extrinsic vs. intrinsic motivations in a reward system
- The conditions that create flow
- Kindness as the habit that matters most to him
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
- Samsara – Referring to those externally motivating endlessly wandering
- Eat Right Now – A simple way to develop healthy eating habits
- Craving to Quit – mindfulness-based wellness program based on a successful smoking cessation curriculum developed at Yale
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and receive additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.