This week’s conversation is with Jonathan Neman, Co-Founder & CEO of sweetgreen, the destination for simple, seasonal, healthy real food.
Jonathan and his co-founders Nathaniel Ru and Nicolas Jammet started sweetgreen in 2007, opening their first location in Georgetown, DC, just three months out of college.
The mission driven brand’s strong food ethos, embodiment of passion and purpose, tech-forward thinking and investment in local communities has enabled sweetgreen to disrupt the fast casual space and grow into a national brand with over 90 locations.
Jonathan passionately believes in the democratization of real food – it should be convenient and accessible to everyone, which is why sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food.
He has been recognized as a key innovator in food and business, named to Fast Company’s “50 Most Innovative Companies”, Inc’s “30 Under 30”, Forbes’ “30 Under 30” and Food & Wine’s “40 Big Food Thinkers 40 and Under,” among other accolades.
I wanted to speak with Jonathan because I went to his restaurant in New York City and loved the vibe.
I wanted to understand how it was built and sure enough, you’ll get a feel for just how thoughtfully they’ve curated their business.
In This Episode:
- What led him to starting Sweet Green and what’s been behind their early success
- Why he’s so passionate about being a mission driven brand
- His process for continuously improving his business acumen
- The hard part of their business: achieving intimacy at scale
- What keeps him up at night as an entrepreneur?
- His process for helping his employees flourish
- What he looks for during the hiring process and his favorite interview question
- His philosophy on pay scale
- How he goes about firing underperforming employees
- Sharing a time when he got in way over his skis
- His strategy for enhancing confidence and taking risks more often
- How surfing has helped him manage stress and improved his quality of life
- Where pressure comes from?
- How he defines mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 129: Andrew Zimmern, Chef and TV Personality
- Finding Mastery 104: Chris Talley, Nutritional Scientist
- Finding Mastery 037: David Yeung, Green Monday Founder
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.