This week’s conversation is with John Donovan, CEO of AT&T Communications.
He’s responsible for the bulk of AT&T’s global telecommunications and video services businesses, including AT&T’s Business, Entertainment, and Technology & Operations groups.
AT&T is a global leader in telecommunications with 100 million U.S. consumer connections and millions of businesses, from the smallest companies to nearly all of the Fortune 1000.
John manages over 200,000 people. Think about that for a second. What’s the key to running an organization this large?
For John, it starts with knowing his values and what he stands for.
This creates a certain space that allows him to be grounded and present more often.
In this conversation, John shares how he got so clear on who he is and what he’s striving for.
It took some difficult, lonely work to sort it out and I hope you are currently embracing that same process.
In This Episode:
- Why he cares deeply about relationships.. how he goes about engaging with others and valuing them
- The importance of removing ego from conversations
- His leadership style: delivering the right message at the right time
- Why sports and business aren’t that different: relationships, performance, and everyone being their best are the keys
- Defining where you’re at in life: the 4 arcs of life (physical, intellectual, influence, and going home)
- Creating a plan for your life, one of the best documents you’ll ever produce
- His unique morning routine
- His recommendation for how to get to the center of who you are
- Is it possible to manage striving for depth in relationship with few vs. impact across many
- His strategy for getting honest feedback from his peers
- What he’s most hungry for in life: strength
- The most challenging part of his job
- His definition of success
- The 3 different catalysts for change
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 130: Bob Hurley, Founder of Hurley International
- Finding Mastery 118: Chris Ashenden, Athletic Greens Co-Founder
- Finding Mastery 111: Daymond John, CEO and Founder of FUBU
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!
Halo Sport, the first product from Halo Neuroscience, uses Neuropriming technology to improve the brain’s response to motor skill training.
Get $100 off Halo Sport when you purchase via this Finding Mastery link!