This week’s conversation is with John Donovan, CEO of AT&T Communications.
He’s responsible for the bulk of AT&T’s global telecommunications and video services businesses, including AT&T’s Business, Entertainment, and Technology & Operations groups.
AT&T is a global leader in telecommunications with 100 million U.S. consumer connections and millions of businesses, from the smallest companies to nearly all of the Fortune 1000.
John manages over 200,000 people. Think about that for a second. What’s the key to running an organization this large?
For John, it starts with knowing his values and what he stands for.
This creates a certain space that allows him to be grounded and present more often.
In this conversation, John shares how he got so clear on who he is and what he’s striving for.
It took some difficult, lonely work to sort it out and I hope you are currently embracing that same process.
In This Episode:
- Why he cares deeply about relationships.. how he goes about engaging with others and valuing them
- The importance of removing ego from conversations
- His leadership style: delivering the right message at the right time
- Why sports and business aren’t that different: relationships, performance, and everyone being their best are the keys
- Defining where you’re at in life: the 4 arcs of life (physical, intellectual, influence, and going home)
- Creating a plan for your life, one of the best documents you’ll ever produce
- His unique morning routine
- His recommendation for how to get to the center of who you are
- Is it possible to manage striving for depth in relationship with few vs. impact across many
- His strategy for getting honest feedback from his peers
- What he’s most hungry for in life: strength
- The most challenging part of his job
- His definition of success
- The 3 different catalysts for change
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 130: Bob Hurley, Founder of Hurley International
- Finding Mastery 118: Chris Ashenden, Athletic Greens Co-Founder
- Finding Mastery 111: Daymond John, CEO and Founder of FUBU
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.