This week’s conversation is with John Brenkus, who has spent the last decade studying and popularizing the unique characteristics of the world’s greatest athletes.
A co-founder of BASE Productions, he is best known as the on-air host, co-creator and executive producer of ESPN’s Emmy Award-winning show Sport Science, appearing in and producing over 1500 segments that have been featured on ABC and ESPN’s enormous sports platform.
John has been featured in coverage of The Super Bowl, Monday Night Football, the NBA Finals, Sunday Night Baseball, and The Masters just to name a few.
Through Sport Science, John has appeared before 80 million people annually for the last decade, has won 6 Emmys, and has written a New York Times Best Seller “The Perfection Point.”
When John has an idea he goes for it.
It makes sense then, that his philosophy is to: “Make something out of nothing.”
In this conversation we discuss what gives him the confidence to go for it and not let a fear of failure get in the way of pursuing his dreams.
In This Episode:
- Approaching each day with positive energy and working to avoid thoughts loops containing negative thoughts
- How he came up with the idea to fuse sports and science into a television program
- What stands out to him about the best athletes in the world
- Don’t get hung up on the numbers: Why the best running backs aren’t necessarily the fastest or the strongest
- Proving the doubters wrong: how being called delusional by a potential investor fueled his fire
- Why he doesn’t consider being “stubborn” a bad thing
- How something you create goes from good to great
- What allows him to “go for it”
- His family structure growing up and how that shaped him
- The first steps he took to pursue his dreams of being in entertainment
- The moment that changed how he sees the world
- Balancing confidence vs. hubris
- How his wife and kids have changed his priorities
- The future trends he sees for the NFL and NBA
- The two things that stand out to him about elite athletes that come through his lab: Self-belief and calm
- His thoughts on mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 131: Rich Froning Jr., 4x Fittest Man on Earth
- Finding Mastery 077: Lisa Kerney, SportsCenter Anchor
- Finding Mastery 031: Alyssa Roenigk, ESPN Senior Writer
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.