Dr. John Berardi is an entrepreneur and co-founder of Precision Nutrition, the largest private nutrition coaching, education, and software company in the world.
John has advised top organizations like Apple, Equinox, Nike, Titleist, the San Antonio Spurs (as NBA champions), Sloane Stephens (as US Open Champion), Georges St. Pierre (as 2-division UFC Champion), and numerous Olympic teams.
His work and research has been widely cited in the media, from the New York Times to the Harvard Business Review and he’s been named one of the 20 smartest coaches in the world and 100 most influential people in health and fitness.
In addition, Fast Company named Precision Nutrition one of the most innovative companies in the world.
The focus of this conversation extends beyond nutrition.
It’s about the process by which people get better at anything.
It’s about what motivates people to change.
In This Episode:
- Precise Nutrition focuses on helping people get better in 4 main areas: food, exercise, stress, and sleep
- Why helping people get better starts with creating a progression model
- Experienced pain from an early age… was prematurely born, often sick suffering from allergies, asthma, and other illnesses
- Was too skinny too play sports growing up, became very interested in nutrition
- Quickly realized he wasn’t only interested in nutrition but the process by which people get better at anything
- The key things he learned about what motivates people to change
- Why confidence is so important when it comes to coaching
- The importance of daily movement / exercise regardless of the diet
- His views on intermittent fasting and the Keto diet
- His advice for helping your children maintain a healthy diet
- Why he’s so drawn to mastery
- What amazed him during his time work with UFC legend Georges St. Pierre
- How he manages self-doubt
- Where he derives clarity and confidence: defining his priorities, unique abilities, and values
- What he does when things don’t go his way
- Why he’s a proponent of therapy
- Becoming skillful in the art of transitions
- His thoughts on CBD and Cannabis
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“What we’ve done at Precision Nutrition, which really no one had done before, is create a progression model for helping someone become someone who can eat well, live a healthy lifestyle, and exercise regularly. It’s through the daily practices that map to the skills that map to the goal.”
On getting good at something: “It’s going to take longer, and your orientation has to be to this very thing, this kind of idea of patient practice done intentionally, with precision, using pain as a way to correct course.”
“My priorities, in no particular order, are my family (my relationship with my wife and my role as a parent), my own self-care (my health and fitness), and then my work at Precision Nutrition and that mission that we’re trying to achieve. Those are my three priorities. Everything else is a no. Nothing else is even considered.”
- Finding Mastery 104: Chris Talley Nutritional Scientist
- Finding Mastery 066: Dr. Judson Brewer, Mindfulness Researcher
- Finding Mastery 049: Vern Gambetta, Director of Gambetta Sports Training Systems
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.