Authenticity is rare. Those who invest in insight, as well as, the courage to express what is authentically happening for him/her are even more rare. The ability to express oneself through whatever craft of choice: words, movement, canvas, sound, et cetera requires first a command of craft, then insight and the courage to do so.
Suffering is not rare. We all have it. We’ve all faced down challenges that have shifted how we understand ourselves, others, and the world as a whole. Those who move through adversity swiftly, with openness, toughness, and love — and emerge with a creative way of doing things differently — are some of my favorite people.
Jimmy Smith, Founder and CEO of Amusement Park Entertainment creates, has faced down adversity, and celebrates both the humanness and spirituality of people. He has earned countless awards for his work as a Writer and Creative Director for Nike at Wieden + Kennedy, Executive Creative Director at BBDO and most recently, Gatorade’s Group Creative Director at TBWAChiatDay LA.
Jimmy was voted as Fast Company’s 100 most creative people in business.
Enjoy the simple joys — carving your own path.
In This Episode
- Striving for diversity within Amusement Park
- The story behind Nike Freestyle
- Putting the “G” in Gatorade
- Identifying the right people to work with
- How Nike lost out on Space Jam and what it says about risk taking
- Clients not actually wanting to take the risks they claim they are willing to
- Heaven sent with Luke Aikens and why he’s comfortable with what’s at stake
- Why he listens to others even when he disagrees
- Belief as a word that cuts to the center of himself
- Why living his live in uncomfortable spots allows him to deal with his inner critic
“Even if I think something is stupid from the beginning, I will let the person the present it all the way through and I will listen.”
“Just get out of your own fucking way and believe”
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here.