This conversation is with Jamie Wheal and Steven Kotler. Many of you will remember Steven from our conversation about flow state — if you missed that, check out episode 16 on Ultimate Human Performance.
Jamie and Steven are the co-founders of the Flow Genome Project, which is a collection of world-class academics, athletes and artists dedicated to taking flow from the extreme to the mainstream.
I’ve loved being their friend and being part of their community.
Jamie and Steven are completely switched-on : smart, quick and divergent thinkers, lovers of life, and are so curious, that they embody what they’re trying to learn.
This conversation has very nuanced adult themes — so — if you’re listening with kids, maybe you’ll want to consider listening to this one without them depending on however you roll.
Steven and Jamie just wrote a book together called: Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work.
What I hope you’ll take away from this conversation is the value of exploring the edges, the value of community, and how challenging it is to really change.
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.
“The things we know for sure is you get one shot at this life and you’re going to spend a 1/3 of it asleep. Those things are non-negotiable facts. To me the only question that matters is: Are you going to be awake for the rest of it?”
In This Episode:
- Loving the outdoors and how that gave him his first taste of flow (Wheal)
- Why doing shrooms for the first time was a huge awakening (Wheal)
- Seeing his brother experimenting with magic and wondering if everything that looks like magic has a skill under it? (Kotler)
- Recapping how discovering flow helped cure his lime disease (Kotler)
- What it means to be a cultural architect (Wheal)
- Where does information come from? (Kotler)
- Getting to the life you want (Kotler)
- How you can take small steps towards on-ramping ecstasies (Wheal)
- The dangers of pursuing flow for too long (Wheal)
- What happens when you come down from a night drinking / intoxication (Kotler)
- Determining what information is accurate in a state of flow (Kotler)
- What he hopes people will take away from “Stealing Fire” (Wheal)
- How we decode mystical states (Wheal)
- Why honoring your natural rhythm is a great habit (Kotler)
- Why he believes in getting outdoors and experimenting with high grade psychedelics (Wheal)
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
- Prometheus – a Titan in Greek mythology, best known as the deity in Greek mythology who was the creator of mankind and its greatest benefactor, who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to mankind
- Ronald Segal – associate research professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at UCLA…. believes in a 4th evolutionary driver, to get out of your own head through intoxication
- Scott Barry Kaufman – Scientific Director, Imagination Institute. Positive psychology at University of Pennsylvania
- Salim Ismail – founding executive director of Singularity University