This conversation is with UC Berkeley rugby coach Jack Clark on team, culture, honesty.
Jack is the iconic rugby coach at the University of California. His team-building abilities are considered legendary within university circles and throughout the corporate sector.
Since becoming head coach of the Golden Bears in 1984, Clark has led the rugby program to 29 national collegiate championships.
In 2000, Clark was chosen as one of Cal’s Ten Most Influential Sports Figures of the 20th Century.
Not only has Jack sustained an improbable level of success for nearly 3 decades, but he’s not the slightest bit sick of what he does.
In Jack’s words, “I really wouldn’t trade jobs with anyone. I mean anyone.”
Jack has so much to share in this conversation.
Everything from how he brings out the best in his players to how he scales culture to why his players are getting their unofficial PHD in team.
This is a phenomenal conversation and you may have to listen to it multiple times to truly soak up all of Jack’s insights.
In This Episode:
- How he became attracted to sport from an early age
- The difference between a sports team vs. a family
- Why high performance teams are highly conditional
- His favorite coaches growing up: those that valued relationships and gave constant feedback
- The key to bringing out the best in his players: focusing on their strengths
- The 70/30 Rule for focusing on strengths/weaknesses
- The necessary discipline required for optimism
- How he creates a strong culture for his players to excel in
- Why meritocracy is an important belief for his team
- His method for rewarding mental toughness
- What he’s searching for
- The uniqueness of a team setting in sport
- Getting shot 5 times and how he turned it into a positive
- What he would ask another master
- Honest as the word that guides him
- Why he doesn’t get sick of coaching after 27 years
- Scaling culture
- Are there such things as big games?
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
Journalist George Plimpton – one of the people Jack read as a child, giving him a look behind the curtain.. the sports world.
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.