This week’s conversation is with Dr. Daniel Chao, co-founder of Halo Neuroscience.
Dr. Chao’s whole life has been dedicated to understanding the brain and its function — specifically, how electrical stimulation can help the brain more rapidly improve performance, cognitive function, and overall happiness.
As some of you are already probably aware, we recently partnered with Halo Neuroscience because I’m bullish on their technology, Halo Sport, which accelerates movement based learning through transcranial direct current stimulation (TDCS).
I wanted to have an in-depth conversation with Daniel to learn more about how scientists are using brain stimulation to optimize neurological function and go deeper into what’s possible with this technology.
I think this technology is right on the frontier, backed by about 15 years of research and currently used by the best athletes in the world – US Olympic teams, players in the NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA Tour, and more.
In a previous Finding Mastery podcast (#045), psychologist Anders Ericsson argued that expert performers acquire their skill through deliberate practice.
In deliberate practice, it’s a full and deep, possibly nauseatingly deep focus, on whatever skill you are working on learning. This involves minimizing distractions and practicing just outside one’s comfort zone.
Well what if adding a layer of technology to deliberate practice could accelerate the rate of learning by up to 50%?
That’s something we discuss in this conversation and Daniel believes we’re just scratching the surface of what’s possible.
As someone who’s always been captivated by the power of the mind, this conversation was such a treat for me so I can’t wait for you to learn from Daniel.
In This Episode:
- Grew up in Southern California, education was always prioritized by his family
- His close relationship with his father, how it shaped his world-view and leadership style
- Why he’s motivated to do something great for the world
- Where he first got the idea to create a business around neurostimulation
- Is neurostimulation safe? The initial testing that went into building Halo Sport.
- How does neurostimulation work? What is actually happening?
- Can this technology enhance moved-based learning by up to 50%?
- The different use cases for their technology… NBA, Military, and beyond
- Can TDCS treat depression?
- Why TDCS can help combat opioid abuse
- What he hopes the next generation gets right
- His definition of mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 061: Robert Greene, New York Times Best-Selling Author
- Finding Mastery 046: Dr. Caroline Leaf, Cognitive Neuroscientist
- Finding Mastery 045: Dr. Anders Ericsson, Internationally Recognized Psychologist
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.