This is part two of the conversation with Cal Fussman.
In part one, Cal took us deep and he took us into many different parts of his life that were wonderful and surprising. We also had a banter back and forth about questions and responses to questions and the art of storytelling.
In part two, he just takes us for a ride. There are so many wonderful stories that he shares with us and what I want to challenge us to do when we’re listening is to listen to the art of storytelling.
The nuances and the nuts and bolts of the story are important because they’re fun, but see if you can go down just a level deeper or two levels deeper to listen how he’s constructing and what he’s really articulating through the storytelling craft that he’s mastered.
In This Episode:
- Getting knocked out at golden gloves
- Redeeming himself fighting Julio Caeser Chavez
- The art of storytelling
- Getting a firsthand look into storytelling as mastery rather than explaining it
- Why competition fuels mastery
- JFK’s assassination marking the beginning of his quest to learn
- How the power of a question dictated his whole life
- Receiving a letter from the President Lyndon B. Johnson at age 7
- Discussing what risks are worth taking
Listen via: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
- Roberto Durvan v Sugar Ray Leonard (No mas)
- Buck O’Neil – Kansas City Monarchs
- Satchel Paige – Legendary Negro League’s pitcher
- Josh Gibson – “The black Babe Ruth”
- Homestead Grays
- Baseball Negro League
This episode is brought to you by:
HelloFresh is the meal kit delivery service that makes cooking fun, easy, and convenient! Each week HelloFresh creates new delicious recipes with step-by-step instructions designed to take around 30 minutes for everyone from novices to seasoned home-cooks short on time. HelloFresh sources the freshest ingredients, measured to the exact quantities needed so there’s no food waste and employ a full-time registered dietician on staff who reviews each recipe to ensure it is nutritionally balanced.
For $35 off your first week of deliveries, visit hellofresh.com and enter the promo code “mastery” when you subscribe!