This week’s conversation is with Brian Mackenzie, an expert in the development and application of custom protocols to optimize human health and performance.
His work harnesses and integrates respiratory, movement, strength and endurance-based training approaches to elicit positive results.
His protocols have been used to accelerate and raise both mental and physical performance in world-class Olympic and professional athletes, top executives, and elite military operators, as well as to improve the health for everyday people to those suffering from various chronic illnesses.
Along with innovating the endurance, strength and conditioning paradigm, he has studied altitude, heat & cold exposure and breath work.
Brian co-founded and created Power Speed Endurance (PSE), an online programming, coaching and educational platform that specializes in movement & skill development in sport.
He also co-authored the books Power Speed Endurance, NYTimes Best Seller UnBreakable Runner, and most recently UnPlugged.
In This Episode:
- His recent freak accident that left him thinking he may be paralyzed for life
- Why he was able to remain calm in the aftermath of that horrifying situation
- How his family upbringing drove him to be a rebel
- His love for tattoos and what they mean to him
- Wanting to be accepted and that creating problems with alcohol and drugs
- Heading to rehab, AA wasn’t for him, and finding his purpose: human performance
- Training for a 100-mile run and how that led to him helping facilitate a paradigm shift in the endurance world… training with quality over quantity
- The role breathing training plays in optimizing performance
- What happens when you breath through your nose vs. your mouth
- What does his breathing practice look like?
- How does training with cold or heat impact breathing?
- Learning to control your breathing when you’re stressed
- What he’s most hungry for
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 131: Rich Froning Jr, 4x Fittest Man on Earth
- Finding Mastery 126: Peter Park, Fitness and Wellness Coach
- Finding Mastery 009: Luke Tyburski, Endurance Adventurer
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.