This week’s conversation is with Bobbi Brown, a beauty industry titan, world-renowned makeup artist, best-selling author and serial entrepreneur.
As a professional makeup artist, Bobbi created 10 simple lipsticks that evolved into a global beauty empire.
At a time when stark contours and shiny red lips were in fashion, Bobbi designed cosmetics to highlight a woman’s natural look, and introduced Bobbi Brown Essentials in 1991.
This line of color cosmetics revolutionized the industry.
In 1995, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics was acquired by The Estée Lauder Companies, where Bobbi served as Chief Creative Officer, building a billion-dollar brand.
Unwilling to rest on her laurels, Bobbi has returned to her roots as an entrepreneur.
Her latest endeavor is EVOLUTION_18, a line of lifestyle-inspired wellness products that launched in the Spring of 2018.
What’s been the key to her success?
Bobbi just goes for it. She has an optimistic framework and isn’t worried about things not working out.
You don’t need to have the slightest bit of interest in makeup to enjoy this conversation – Bobbi is as real as it gets and I hope her authenticity rubs off on you.
In This Episode:
- Growing up in Chicago… her grandfather, “Papa Sam, gave her an entrepreneurial foundation
- Experiencing self-esteem issues during adolescence
- The story of her mom telling her to get a nose job and how that shaped her
- What changed her life? Seeing “Love Story” in 7th grade, seeing Allie McGraw with no-makeup on and realizing she could be pretty too
- Why she’s always lived authentically and said what she feels
- Her optimistic framework, everything starts with: “Wouldn’t it be cool if….”
- Where her ideas come from
- Transitioning from artist to entrepreneur to business woman
- Finding the balance between her business aspirations and taking care of her children
- Why you’ve got to be different to be an entrepreneur
- Her advice for aspiring entrepreneurs: “Just do it.”
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 124: Rebecca Rothstein, Top Wealth Advisor
- Finding Mastery 074: Tina Seelig, Stanford Professor
- Finding Mastery 037: David Yeung, Environmental Advocate and Green Monday Founder
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.