This week’s conversation is with Bob Hurley, founder and chairman of the global apparel brand, Hurley.
Something I love about these Finding Mastery conversations is we get to learn from people at all stages, across unique fields of expertise.
And in this conversation we get to learn from someone who built a globally recognized brand, which was acquired by Nike in 2002.
Bob has made his work his play from the beginning.
He started as a surf shop kid in Huntington Beach, shaping surf boards before acquiring the license to Billabong USA in 1982.
In 1999, he started his own clothing brand embracing the spirit and creativity of youth.
Bob has a phenomenal story to share and he opens up about how he built Hurley into the company that it is today, what his process looks like for making big decisions, and why he has a burning desire to be around “magic.”
He remains deeply involved in company operations today, except when “product-testing” in Indo or Fiji.
In This Episode:
- Growing up as a citizen of the world, courtesy of the Air Force and loving living in Japan
- How living in Japan has influenced his adult life and taught him to welcome diversity
- Why Hurley decided to split from Billabong and run independent
- His process for making big decisions
- His spiritual framework
- His burning desire to be around magic
- Being heavily self critical and trying to accept himself
- How he came up with the name Hurley
- Why people choose to suffer
- It all comes down to… imagination
- How his mindset on what matters most has changed over the years
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“Don’t sit around and feel sorry for yourself because life is short.”
“It all comes down to imagination.”
“We figure if we collect enough people that are like-minded, that are fulfilling their own dreams, we’re going to be surrounded by magic therefore our company will be magic.”
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and receive additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.