This week’s conversation is with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk, a clinician, researcher and teacher in the area of posttraumatic stress.
He has spent his career studying how people adapt to traumatic experiences, and has translated emerging findings from neuroscience and attachment research to develop and study a range of potentially effective treatments for traumatic stress.
You might be thinking, “Well I don’t have PTSD, how does this conversation apply to me?”
What you might be surprised to learn is how many of us are affected by trauma but just don’t realize it.
According to Dr. van der Kolk’s research, 75% of Americans suffer from some type of past traumatic experience.
In this conversation, he shares strategies for getting to the root of the trauma.
Trauma comes in many forms and so do people’s responses to it.
What’s important to remember is just because someone looks like they have it all together on the outside doesn’t mean everything’s ok on the inside.
In This Episode:
- The ways in which the mind and body are affected by trauma
- Are all types of trauma the same?
- 75% of Americans suffer from some type of past traumatic experience… how do most people choose to respond to it?
- How to help athletes move on from traumatic losses such as the Seahawks Super Bowl defeat
- Why he’s bullish on EMDR Trauma Therapy
- How to build better connections and increase the frequency in which you feel safe with others
- The first things he teaches people: spend time in silence and experience group flow
- How does he define success?
- Why true geniuses in the world have all been traumatized
- What is the dark side of mastery?
- What is he most hungry for?
- His philosophy: Allow yourself to know what you know and feel what you feel
- His thoughts on mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 164: Dr. Stephen Rollnick, Motivational Interviewing Co-Founder
- Finding Mastery 076: Tu Lam, Modern Day Warrior
- Finding Mastery 066: Dr. Judson Brewer, Leader in Field of Habit Change
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.