This week’s conversation is with Dr. Antonio Damasio, a Professor of Neuroscience, Psychology and Philosophy, and Director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
Trained as both neurologist and neuroscientist, Antonio has brilliantly captured the complicated Interplay b/t biology and psychology and culture — and doing it in a way that provides the highest dignity between each discipline, through a structurally artistic and rigorously scientific process.
His work is built on deep curiosity, deep thinking, and deep contribution to humanity.
Antonio has made seminal contributions to the understanding of how the brain processes underlying emotions, feelings, and consciousness.
His work on the role of affect in decision-making has made a major impact in neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy. He is the author of several hundred scientific articles and is one of the most eminent psychologists of the modern era.
His most recent work addresses the evolutionary development of mind and especially the role of life regulation in the generation of cultures.
“Everything that we do from the moment we have some maturity are aimed at reflecting on the conditions under which you were led into pleasure or pain. If you’re smart, you’re going to try to maximize one and reduce the other.”
In This Episode:
- Had an early yearning for understanding the human mind and why humans do what they do
- How he came to realize he wanted to be a neurologist
- Moving from Portugal to the United States to pursue his education and learn from Norman Geschwind
- Working to understand consciousness, the self, feelings, emotions, and culture
- His problem with people who “simplify” what goes on in the mind
- Role of the nervous system with how the mind works
- Coming to the realization that understanding the mind starts with studying emotions, not language as was previously thought
- Opening a lab in 1990 to study the processes of emotion
- Are people driven by pain, pleasure, fame, etc or interconnection with others?
- His approach to risk-taking
- What he’s observed about the most successful people
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“Emotions actually, as the name implies, are about movement, so when you emote, there’s movement going on in your face. There’s movement going on in a variety of internal organs. There’s movement going on in your hands.”
“After you have control over how you emote, how you feel, how you respond in relation to the world around you, the whole panorama opens and now you’re allowed to think about ways in which you can either prevent or maximize other things. That’s the whole game.”
“I ended up being an expert on language and the brain, when what I wanted to understand is how this whole thing is put together at a much more deeper level. And if I had stayed there, I would not have been able to understand it.”
- Finding Mastery 087: Dr. Albert Bandura, David Starr Jordan Professor Emeritus of Social Science in Psychology at Stanford University
- Finding Mastery 082: Dr. Harry Edwards, Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of California, Berkeley
- Finding Mastery 066: Dr. Judson Brewer, Director of Research and Innovation, Mindfulness Center at Brown University
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.