This week’s conversation is with Andrew Zimmern, a four-time James Beard Award-winning TV personality, chef, writer and teacher.
Andrew is regarded as one of the most versatile and knowledgeable personalities in the food world. As the creator, executive producer and host of the Bizarre Foods franchise on Travel Channel, The Zimmern List and Andrew Zimmern’s Driven by Food, he has explored culture through food in more than 170 countries.
He has built a multi-faceted empire that promotes impactful ways to think about, create and live with food.
On the surface Andrew is wildly successful – he’s highly ambitious and has an insatiable curiosity for life but in this conversation he pulls back the curtain and we get to learn about a different side of him.
Andrew’s affinity for risk taking led him down a path that almost cost him his life.
And that is at the heart of what this conversation is all about.
Andrew holds nothing back.
The pain he endured, what he ultimately learned about himself, and how it’s impacted the work he does today.
We all have challenges we’re dealing with—whether it be issues at work, your personal life, addiction, searching for purpose, and I truly believe this conversation has something to offer for everyone.
“I define success by not being a slave to the idea that I have to have a certain amount of money or notoriety to be happy.”
In This Episode:
- How he cam to be highly ambitious
- The internal struggle he has between wanting to experience the most out of life and getting enough sleep
- Why he strives to be an extraordinary “doer”
- His prime driver in life: an insatiable curiosity
- The ramifications of being an alcoholic and drug abuser in the 1980s
- Why he’s at his best as a visual thinker
- The plight he faces as a risk taker.. trying to accurately assess when is right time to take risk
- The lowest points he faced in his life due to his risk taking … homeless, trying to take his own life, petty theft, and drug addiction
- Checking himself into rehab, learning the power of gratitude and to believe in a higher power
- How his mindset shifted to showing dignity and respect for others
- Why vulnerability is so important to him
- How his views on success have changed
- What mastery comes down to
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“I think one of the secrets to my success is that I’m insanely curious.”
“Success for me is defined by peace of mind.”
“To me mastery is about the journey and not the destination.”
This episode is brought to you by:
Ned’s collection of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil products contains CBD extracted from the finest organic hemp plants and is all grown with love on a small 12-acre homestead in the bountiful farmland of Paonia, CO. Paonia is renowned for its perfect agricultural climate, rich soil, abundance of sunshine, and fresh Rocky Mountain water.
From seed to bottle, Ned’s premium small-batch products are slow-crafted to deliver superior quality while supporting independent farmers, communities, and the environment.
You can get 15% off your first order today with free shipping HERE and use code “FINDINGMASTERY” at checkout.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
WHOOP is a performance tool changing the way people track their fitness and optimize their training. WHOOP provides a wrist worn heart rate monitor that pairs to their app that provides daily personalized analytics and insights on recovery, strain, and sleep.
The WHOOP Strap 3.0 now has 5 day battery life, an improved strap, live heart rate monitoring, and unlocks a suite of new software features to their app.
Go to WHOOP.com and use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout to save $30 and optimize the way you train.