Ali Smith co-founded the Holistic Life Foundation in 2001, where he currently serves as Executive Director.
He has over 15 years of experience teaching yoga and mindfulness to diverse populations.
Through his work at the Holistic Life Foundation he has helped develop and pilot yoga and mindfulness programs at public and private schools, drug treatment centers, juvenile detention centers, mental crisis facilities, and retreat centers, nationally and internationally.
In this conversation we discuss how they got schools to buy into their mission, the way in which they’ve made a big impact in many kids lives, and Ali provides some concrete examples of what his mindfulness practice entails.
“One of the coolest things that meditation does is it connects you to yourself so that you see your bigger than just this city square block. It connects you to everything and everyone and allows you to dream and see things on a bigger scale.”
In This Episode:
- What inspired him to create the Holistic Life Foundation
- Their unique method for teaching yoga and mindfulness to children
- Why it all begins with learning the value of one deep breath
- Making a big impact in schools with “The Mindful Moment”
- How they got schools to buy in
- Why wuji breathing exercises became so popular with the kids
- The backlash they faced as they rolled out mindfulness programs in public schools
- What his personal mindfulness practice looks like
- How they found the money to launch their foundation
- Their plans to make a bigger impact going forward
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
- Finding Mastery 101: Sharon Salzberg, Meditation Expert
- Finding Mastery 096: Varun Soni, USC Dean of Religious Life
- Finding Mastery 071: Chade-Meng Tan, Google pioneer, award-winning engineer, international bestselling author, thought leader and philanthropist
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and receive additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
WHOOP transforms how athletes understand their bodies and unlocks their inner potential. Designed for the 24-hour performance lifestyle, WHOOP has built a system across hardware, analytics and community used by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior through actionable recommendations.
Learn more about WHOOP’s premium membership service here. They also have an exclusive offer for the Finding Mastery community — Get your first month of WHOOP membership FREE with the promo code: FINDINGMASTERY at checkout!
Halo Sport, the first product from Halo Neuroscience, uses Neuropriming technology to improve the brain’s response to motor skill training.
Get $100 off Halo Sport when you purchase via this Finding Mastery link!