This week’s conversation is with Abby Wambach, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, FIFA World Cup Champion, and the highest all-time international goal scorer for male and female soccer players.
Abby is co-founder of Wolfpack Endeavor, a training program that is revolutionizing leadership development for women in the workplace and beyond.
She also sits on the board of Together Rising, an all-women led nonprofit organization that has revolutionized grassroots philanthropy by raising over $16 million for women, families, and children in crisis.
In this conversation we discussion everything from what drove Abby to be great, how she’s adjusted to life after soccer, and why she cares so deeply about creating a equal playing field for everyone.
In This Episode:
- What she’s up to now that she’s finished playing
- The thing that’s toughest post-soccer: Not having a set schedule
- Having to reframe what work means to her as she approaches her new career
- What working with a therapist changed for her
- The selfishness required to be great in sports
- Being motivated by attention due to being the youngest of 7 kids
- Her thoughts on fear and courage… why some choose to go forward and some don’t
- What triggered her problematic drinking habits
- How her DUI changed her and her response to shame
- Her process for figuring how who she is and creating a value system
- The definition of being an “Alpha”
- What got her into imagery in high school and why it’s been so valuable to her
- What she struggles with post-soccer
- How she looks at feminism and why it shouldn’t scare men
- What needs to be done to grow women’s sports
- Her definition of mastery
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | RSS
“One of the things I tell people is you have to write your own commencement speech or your own eulogy. Try to reverse engineer that and put people in your life that will hold you accountable to the things that you value.”
- Finding Mastery 127: Des Linden, 2018 Boston Marathon Winner
- Finding Mastery 083: Rick Welts, Golden State Warriors President and COO
- Finding Mastery 082: Dr. Harry Edwards, Sociologist and Civil Rights Activist
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the transcript to this conversation and additional premium content!
This episode is brought to you by:
Athletic Greens is the Most Complete Supplement for a better you. With 75 ingredients covering 11 areas of health, it gives you the optimum nutrition you need to perform your best, everyday.
Click here for an exclusive Athletic Greens offer for Finding Mastery listeners only – a FREE 20 count travel pack (Valued at $99) with any purchase.
Eight Sleep makes The Pod, a high-tech bed with integrated sensors that track your sleep and a layer that dynamically regulates temperature based on sleep cycle, cooling and heating through the night to enhance rest and recovery.
For a limited time, get $150 off your purchase when you go to EIGHTSLEEP.COM/findingmastery
Four Sigmatic is a natural superfood company that specializes in mushroom-based drinks that benefit our immunity, energy, and longevity, and help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
Get 15% off your purchase at foursigmatic.com/findingmastery or use the code FINDINGMASTERY at checkout.